Domestic violence is not an instance of neighborhood or income: it is a sisterhood of circumstance.
- More than 1 in 4 women will be a victim of domestic violence in her lifetime.
- On average nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been victims of physical violence by an intimate partner within their lifetime.
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
- Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
- 50% of those who abuse an intimate partner will also abuse children in the home.
- 1 in 15 children are exposed to intimate partner violence.
- Children who witness abuse are 1,000 times more likely to be abusive or abusive adults.
- The cost of intimate partner violence exceeds $8.3 billion per year.
- Between 21-60% of victims of intimate partner violence lose their jobs due to reasons stemming from the abuse.
- 1 in 5 female high school students reports being abused by a dating partner.
Do you like this page?